The Waikiki Natatorium War Memorial is a World War I living memorial on Oahu, Hawaii, USA. It is a salt-water swimming pool built in the ocean on Waikiki’s San Souci beach.
History of the Natatorium
The memorial was designed to honor the ~10,000 men and women from Hawaii who served and the 101 who gave their lives during World War I. The opening ceremony took place on 24 August 1927.
- Read more about the history of the Waikiki Natatorium War Memorial.
The Waikiki Natatorium War Memorial is currently closed to the public due to disrepair and neglect by the local and state government. It has been shuttered since the 1980s, and there is an ongoing effort to try and preserve the memorial and the legacy of those who served, sacrificed.
Documentary ‘The Tank’
The most recent effort is a documentary film The Tank which chronicles the role of the Natatorium in the lives of thousands of Oahu children and families, as well as the world-class swimming culture that was spawned by olympians and local folks.
We regularly hold memorial services on the park grounds of the Waikiki Natatorium War Memorial. Consider attending for Memorial day and Veterans day. But there are more ways to help honor this memorial, and preserve it for future generations. You can help!
- Consider ways to contribute time, effort, and financial support.
Friends of the Natatorium
This website is run by the Friends of the Natatorium is a registered 501c3 non-profit organization which is dedicated to saving the natatorium from destruction.
- Honor our Veterans at the Natatorium, 11 a.m. on Monday — Veterans Day
- Attend the 2019 Memorial Day Observance, Sunday, May 26, at the Natatorium
- Action Alert: Send a Letter Now to Support Honolulu’s New Plan for the Natatorium
- Join us! 100th anniversary of the end of World War I; observances at the Natatorium
- Attend the Natatorium Memorial Day Ceremony, Sunday, May 27
- Honor Our Veterans, and Observe the WWI Centennial, with Us This Saturday
- Natatorium named official WWI Centennial Memorial
- Photos from the 2017 Natatorium Memorial Day Observance
- Memorial Day Observance at the Natatorium: Sunday, May 28
- Save the Date: Memorial Day Observance at the Natatorium